Treatments take place through clothes on a futon on the floor or on a chair if the receiver is unable to lie down. Each one lasts for about an hour although the first treatment may be longer to allow for a record of the receiver's personal details and medical history to be taken.
There will be time at the beginning of each subsequent session to discuss any changes that have occurred. Time is also allowed at the end for the receiver to relax and discuss any reaction.
The session can be quite dynamic or more tranquil, as appropriate to promote the free flow of Ki. It can be described as a moving meditation leaving both practitioner and receiver with a feeling of calm and vitality.
The practitioner may give suggestions on diet or lifestyle or exercises to complement the treatment.
The number of treatments varies according to the receiver and their condition. Typically, initial weekly treatments are followed by fortnightly and then monthly intervals to maintain good health.
- Please wear loose comfortable clothing including socks and preferably long sleeves
- Eat lightly in the hour prior to treatment
- Do not drink alcohol before or after a treatment
- If relevant, please bring details of any diagnosis from your doctor or other practitioner and any medication you are taking
- Please give at least 24 hours notice of cancellation otherwise the full fee is payable
- Diploma from the Ki Kai Shiatsu Centre
- ITEC (International Therapy Examination Council) in Diet and Nutrition
- Postgraduate Diploma in Mandarin
Helen has trained with several different shiatsu schools and respected teachers to gain experience of a range of styles and approaches, including barefoot shiatsu and Healing-Shiatsu-Touch. She continues to develop her professional skills by attending workshops and training courses and gives treatments at a local carer's charity. She practises qi gong, yoga and meditation for her own health and well-being and is also a reiki practitioner.